Just to clear matters up a bit, President Trump did not himself release the final collection of JFK related documents housed by the National Archives – Congress did, back in 1992.  In 1992, Congress passed a public law – “President John F. Kennedy Assassinations Records Collection Act of 1992” – directing the National Archives to establish a collection consisting of copies of all U.S. government records relating to the 1963 assassination of President Kennedy.  The record collection includes materials from Federal agencies as well as state and local law enforcement.

The Act also created the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB), chartering it to collect relevant documents and to issue decisions on agency requests to withhold or postpone document release. At that point in time, 1992, 98% percent of all Warren Commission documents on the assassination had already been released. The ARRB released all the rest of the Warren Commissions documents to the general public – other than individual income tax returns. The ARRB also collected additional materials from federal agencies as well as from individuals, including testimony from individuals directly involved as eyewitnesses, participants in the investigation and the treatment and autopsy of the President following the shooting.

The 1992 law required that all documents be released to the public by October, 2017. The great majority (88%) had already been released by the late 1990s. As of 2017 only 35,000 documents remain to be released in full; some 3,600 have never been seen by the public. The final NARA releases actually began in July of 2017 and some 3,000 have already been released as of early October. For details on what that release involved and what is especially interesting in the first batch released readers should check the information on the Mary Ferrell site:

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/2017_Document_Releases.html

The 1992 act called for release of all documents, however it contained the provision that the President of the United States could act to postpone documents if they were continued to cause harm to military, intelligence, law enforcement or foreign relations activities of the United States and such harm is judged to be of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest. President Trump chose not to exercise that authority, simply allowing the general release to go forward.

It also needs to be pointed out that over the years dedicated researchers have located relevant documents which were not supplied to NARA as part of its JFK collection; some of those have been and continued to be pursued via FOIA and legal appeals related to agency refusals to release under FOIA.

 

 

 

Advertisements

9 responses »

  1. I’m doing an interview on Thursday so I will steal all this info from you! 🙂 Really, even reporters are having a hard time understanding all this.

    People, attend the Lancer conferences or get the DVDs and you will always be up-to-date on the JFK Act and releases.

    • larryjoe2 says:

      Great, glad it helps – and it seems the press in general is just repeating the White House release and then tossing in some “what if” remarks to fluff up their pieces. There is a real story here, but its a lot bitter than October 2017.

  2. larryjoe2 says:

    Ooops..that should have been “bigger” not “bitter”..

  3. Carter Dary says:

    Hi Larry, do you expect any revelations among those documents?

    Carter

    • larryjoe2 says:

      I don’t think we are going to find anything that I would call a “revelation”, in that sense a document suggesting some totally new practice, incident or even person that fifty years plus of research have not provided us to date. On the other hand we already have new details, even in this summer’s initial release. Those documents gave us further insights into the extent that the CIA intentionally (not just clumsily or unintentionally) withheld information and attempted to obfuscate the Warren Commission inquiry in certain areas – especially in regard to Oswald, Mexico City, the Castro assassination project etc.

      I expect to see more details about actual operations come out of the final release since the primary reason for withholding documents was security on sources and methods. We will see more sources named, more crypts revealed and hopefully get more details on the movements and activities on certain key people like William Harvey. On the other hand some of the documents we want most – like the Joannedes (sp) files – appear never to have been put in the JFK collection.

      If that is true then the release will help isolate certain smoking gun areas that the CIA felt were truly significant – most likely relating to the extent that Lee Oswald was most definitely a well known quantity to them in the fall of 1963. To the FBI as well but I suspect those files were destroyed long ago.

  4. drtch says:

    Thanks for the clarification about JFK ass. documents remaining to be released, Larry.

    • larryjoe2 says:

      I’ll try to address both comments here – as far as the file release goes I anticipate doing another post shortly but I want some more facts before I get to that point. My initial impressions is that both the CIA Director and the WH staff made a huge mistake, a press release was issued without any real understanding of the true national security implications of the matter and when a list was given to the President today (and if you think the list was just made today..ha…just ha) and he faced the responsibility of taking all the flack that might come from release of those records, and he bailed, putting the heat back on the intelligence agencies. He won’t accept their opinions on Russia, but he will on JFK records..fancy that.

      On the second part of your comment, I have to be honest and say I did not mention those events because after extensive study (including virtually all the relevant conspiracy theories and writing) my assessment of Pearl Harbor and 9/11 was not that of false flag operations – but rather extreme failures of command and control at the War Department level for the first and the level of the President and National Security Advisor for the second. It’s far too bit a subject to discuss or try to defend here but my studies and conclusions are all in my book Surprise Attack and that is the best I have to offer. I know it doesn’t make a lot of people happy but I have to call it as I see it, after I study it as best I can.

  5. Anthony says:

    It’s a fascinating situation, with what appears to be only a small fraction of the remaining material released. It’s tempting to put it down to gross incompetence but as some documents have been released on the 26th October, on reflection, I doubt if that can be the whole story as there must presumably have been requests to keep the other documents classified in whole or in part.
    Whilst I could have lived with some documents from the 1990s remaining classified or some specific redactions such a large scale retention of documents seems bizarre. If they do largely come out in six months then the gross incompetency theory could have some merit, but further obfuscation on a large scale would more strongly suggest something rather more significant is in there somewhere. Amongst other things I would particularly like to know exactly what operations Joannides was running with the DRE in New Orleans in 1963, and it is very hard to imagine how those documents could still legitimately be an issue for national security, for example.

    • larryjoe2 says:

      I’ve been holding off on posting on the release in general as I’m still working on my own understanding of what happened – and in that respect I tend towards your assessment. But we really won’t know for some time. At the moment I lean towards incompetence and an antagonistic relationship between the WH and the intelligence agencies as well as a lack of WH staff understanding of the whole matter. On a side note, one of the more interesting big picture items is that a full reveal might well demonstrate that the CIA never submitted some of the key documents, such as on Joannides and on Oswald himself, to any official inquiry. Based on a one of the few released documents and documents from July I’m increasingly leaning towards confirmation that the CIA was consciously involved in suppressing information – and yes I know everybody believes that already but I’m talking about proof of when and who if not why. However there is actually important historical info in the documents released and I’m working on a post of one aspect of that sometime in the next couple of days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s